Design Capability Development
The DesignSingapore Council undertakes a series of programmes and initiatives to build the capabilities of Singapore designers and position Singapore as a global design influencer. The Council promotes Singapore's design excellence and facilitates the efforts of Singapore designers and design companies to showcase their works at international markets and enhance their global competitiveness.
The Professional Development programmes seek to develop globally competitive designers and a design cluster which is not only capable of servicing worldwide clients but are instrumental in enabling our enterprises to gain a competitive edge through design:
- The Design Capability Development Programme (CDP) provides support to designers and design companies to achieve a higher level of design excellence and acquire the latest design knowledge and skills through continuing professional development programmes and overseas exposure.
- The Industry Association Development Scheme (IADS) helps design industry associations with long-term initiatives that look into new industry capabilities, new cross-disciplinary collaborations, new international markets and new developmental units within the associations.
- The DesignSingapore Scholarship aims to groom design talents who have the creativity, drive and passion to develop Singapore into Asia's leading centre for design excellence. It is targeted at students and industry professionals who wish to pursue full-time undergraduate or postgraduate design-related courses at reputable local or overseas institutions.
Design Excellence & Market Development
The Design Excellence programme underscores the need for excellence in design to sustain global competitiveness, improve the quality of life and create a sustainable environment. It recognises and celebrates exemplary design achievements through a prestigious award.
- The President's Design Award represents the pinnacle of recognition in Singapore's design sector. It is a celebration of the nation's outstanding designs and exceptional designers who, through design, have forged ahead to improve our quality of life and add lasting value to businesses, thereby setting the standards for design excellence in Singapore.
To raise the profile of Singapore-based designers and help them gain access to international markets, the Council supports their participation at prestigious international design exhibitions, trade shows and thought-leadership platforms.
- The Overseas Promotion Partnership Programme (OPPP) aims to enhance the international recognition of Singapore's design capabilities and competitiveness, consolidating Singapore’s position as a global design city. It does this by funding participation in prestigious international design platforms so that emergent Singapore-based designers and design companies can market themselves and gain access to wider business opportunities in the global arena.
The Council also attracts international design companies and design operations of multi-national companies, foreign direct investments and international design awards and activities to Singapore, all of which enhance the vibrancy of Singapore’s design sector.