Closing date: 15 July 2020
This submission will take about 15 minutes to complete
Calling all educators and students!
For educators, do you have an interesting story to tell about the transformative power of design, and how it has played a key role in shaping the education landscape in your country?
What about the COVID-19 pandemic that has caused school closures worldwide? It has now affected more than 1.5 billion students globally – and they make up about 90 per cent of the world’s learners. Are there stories you would like to share about how you have used design to reimagine education, including how and what your students learn?
As for students, you have a chance to take part too! Have a story in mind? Tell us about how you and your school were transformed as a result of a design or innovation project.
The DesignSingapore Council is organising the second edition of the Design Education Summit, a one-day event organised in partnership with the SUTD-MIT International Design Centre based at the Singapore University of Technology and Design.
As part of the Summit, we are calling for you to submit design-related stories, in our Call for Stories on the Transformation of Education through Design. We would like to hear stories from educators and students, in both public and private education institutes from across the world.
Educators harnessing the transformative power of design to empower students with the open mindsets and skills, starting from the redesigning of their learning spaces.
Find out more about their journey here in the 4-part Better Life by Design short film series.
What is it about?
This call invites educators and students to share and celebrate their stories about using Design. We are interested in all design-related stories, be it successes, challenges, even the ones about how design has empowered individuals with the mindsets and skills for improving lives. This could be an ongoing initiative or a specific project in response to the COVID-19 virus that is designed to evoke the areas below:
- Energy & Enthusiasm
- Inspiration & Motivation
- Introspection & Reflection
- Joy & surprise
- Practice & Perseverance
- Self-awareness & Instinct
- Initiative & Leadership
- Expectations & Limitations
Who is it for?
This call is for educators employed in both public and private education at all levels including Primary, Secondary, Post-Secondary (Junior College/Centralised Institute) & Tertiary (ITE/Polytechnic/Arts College/University) as well as those from the equivalent Grades 1 to 12 from around the world. Entries may be submitted by an individual or a team.
Who is it also for?
Students have a chance to participate too, and win one free pass for your school and a goodie bag for yourself. We urge you to submit your story now as its easy and all it takes is just 15 minutes of your time!
Why should educators participate?
- This is a great opportunity for educators to participate in the dialogue on Design Education, and stimulate discussion for future directions!
- The three best entries will receive one free pass each to the Design Education Summit.
- Selected educators will be given an opportunity to present their work at the Design Education Summit.
- A selection of stories, with your names & contribution, will be featured and highlighted across various media platforms.
Why should students participate?
- This is a great opportunity for students to showcase your pride in your schools’ creative and innovative journey in education!
- The three best entries will receive one free pass each to the Design Education Summit for their school, and a goodie bag for themselves.
- Selected students will have their work featured at the Design Education Summit.
- A selection of stories, with the winners’ names & contribution, will be featured and highlighted across various media platforms.
Entries will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to design and how it has transformed the design education landscape in your country.
- Demonstration of understanding of issues pertaining to design education.
- Providing insights or learnings in the field of design education.
- Inspiring discussion on design education practices for the future.
Contributors of selected entries will be contacted by email. With your permission, submitted stories will also be analysed anonymously to investigate the transformation and experiences with Education through design. Aggregated insights and recommendations from the research team will be shared to inspire the global community of educators.
What to submit?
Participants can submit a maximum of two entries (inclusive of team entries).
- Mandatory: Story of maximum 500 words with up to five pictures with captions. Format: doc/docx.
- Optional: Videos related to the story.
Got a story in mind? We urge you to submit your story now as all it takes is just 15 minutes of your time!
Students from Commonwealth Secondary School work together with their teachers to redesign their Design and Technology laboratory to make it an inspiring place for learning. This is part of the 4-part Better Life by Design short film series. Click here for the YouTube showreel
How to submit and when to submit by?
Step 1: Prepare your content
- Write your story in a word document. Insert the pictures in the document.
- If you have a video, please upload it on sharing sites such as Youtube (make the video public), Dropbox or OneDrive, and note the URL.
Step 2: Permissions
- Ensure you own the copyright of all material that you are submitting.
- If you are submitting as a team, ensure you have your team members’ permissions to do so.
- Ensure you have the consent of all individuals featured in any pictures/videos you are planning to upload, as these could be used for marketing purposes. If you do not have their consent, please ensure the individuals' faces in pictures/videos are blurred.
Step 3: Submit
Click on the button below to submit your story. By submitting your story, you agree that it can be featured in the various media both in the context of the Design Education Summit, and beyond. Winning stories will be announced, and the contributors will be contacted by email.
Hurry and submit NOW as the closing date falls on 15 July 2020.
Selected stories will be featured in the upcoming Design Education Summit.
Organiser contact details
For all enquiries regarding the call for stories, please write to: DEST_organizers@sutd.edu.sg
Do follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram for updates! Also, do subscribe to our enewsletter for updates on the design sector.