Calling all emerging designers in Singapore! The DesignSingapore Council is putting together a Singapore Showcase at Milan Design Week 2020, one of the biggest events in the design calendar. We want to partner emerging local designers to showcase and pitch their works at this prestigious event.
Milan Design Week is an internationally renowned design event comprising the Salone del Mobile trade fair and design exhibitions and events at various districts around the city.
Our aim is to support emerging Singapore designers to:
- showcase their design capabilities
- develop their storytelling capabilities through pitching their works to international design industry visitors
Together with the appointed showcase curators, Wendy Chua and Gustavo Maggio of
Forest & Whale, the DesignSingapore Council wishes to chronicle future design narratives through the perspectives of young emerging talents. Thus, the curation for this showcase will focus on process-driven and future-oriented works.
Projects should reflect global development in design, such as:
- Circular design
- New material experimentation
- Neo traditional craftsmanship
- Social design, among others.
Priority will be given to projects that show:
- Depth in research
- Refined prototypes or finished products
- Clarity in concept communication through photography or video.
Due to time constraints, works with refined prototypes or finished products will be prioritised. All concept submissions should have a prototype to be submitted if the work has been shortlisted for the second round of selection.
REQUIREMENTS FOR DESIGNERS
- Practising designers from the object-making sector (e.g. product design, furniture design, fashion and lifestyle accessories) with five years of work experience or less at the time of application (the designers’ own practice will be considered);
- Singaporean citizens or Permanent Residents;
- Willing and able to be physically present at Milan Design Week from 21 – 26 April 2020 to pitch their works to visitors in person (a subsidy will be provided to offset accommodation costs);
- Willing and able to commit to mentorship by the showcase curators during the product development phase, leading up to Milan Design Week 2020; and
- Having their own practice or line of past products would be a plus
13 November 2019
To apply, please submit your CV and concept proposal to this Dropbox. For other information or inquiries, please contact the Industry Development Office at email@example.com.