The DesignSingapore Scholarship is for individuals with creativity, drive and passion for design. The scholarship will groom designers to become design leaders who will use strategy and innovation to make things better by design. Our scholarship holders may come from different fields of design, but they share one common trait – they are game changers and aspire to contribute to Singapore, and the design sector. We are on the lookout for talented individuals with creative flair, the drive to push boundaries; and a heart to serve Singapore.
What areas of study can I apply for?
The programme should be a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate design-related degree at a reputable local or overseas institution.
Possible fields of study:
- Business Innovation
- Design Management
- Digital Design (Interaction Design/User Experience Design)
- Fashion Design
- Industrial Design
- Interior Design
- Landscape Design
- Service Design
- Urban Design
- Visual Communications
Other fields of design study may also be considered.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Have completed National Service (for male applicants)
- Have successfully gained admission to a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate design-related course in a reputable Singapore or overseas institution
Applicants who are applying for postgraduate studies and have at least three years of professional working experience, would have an advantage.
What does the scholarship cover?
The DesignSingapore Scholarship covers full tuition and compulsory fees for the course of study. The scholarship also provides annual living allowance, pre-studies allowance, developmental course allowance and travel allowance.
How will the scholarship help you to develop?
The scholarship will develop you holistically in your design journey. Apart from supporting you in your studies, where you will develop your technical, creative and communications skills, you will be paired with a mentor from the DesignSingapore Associates Network (DAN) for the duration of your studies to help you push boundaries in your work.
You will be designated a DesignSingapore Associate once you have been awarded the scholarship. As a DesignSingapore Associate, you will be assigned to contribute to DesignSingapore Council’s projects and initiatives that will help you to gain new experiences, grow professionally and at the same time, expand your portfolio.
During the course of your study, you will also have to fulfil a compulsory four-week internship in Singapore. You can secure the internship yourself, or Dsg can facilitate introductions to companies we are in touch with.
Upon graduation and once employed on a full-time basis, Dsg will link you up with an experienced industry mentor to provide guidance to you.
What is the bond upon graduation?
The scholarship recipient will need to be employed in Singapore on a full-time basis in a design-related role with a Singapore-registered company. The bond period will need to be served in Singapore upon graduation.
The bond period depends on the duration of sponsorship of your course, as well as whether your course is local or overseas.
Duration of sponsorship
Three to four years
Less than three years
Three to four years
Less than three years
Close to graduation, DesignSingapore Council will help facilitate job introductions with companies we are in touch with. Scholarship holders can also source for their own jobs in Singapore.
How do I apply for the DesignSingapore Scholarship?
Complete and submit your online application here.
Please upload the following softcopy documents with your online application:
- Portfolio/project case studies* in PDF format (file size less than 5MB)
- Academic results and awards
- Curriculum Vitae
- Record of Co-Curricular Activities (CCA)
- Letter of admission to institution and course information of proposed course of study
- Letter of recommendation from two referees pertaining to the application of this scholarship (referees cannot be immediate relatives of the applicant)
*For applicants from non-design backgrounds and who do not have a design portfolio can submit project case studies. These case studies need to show examples of your design thinking process and outcomes.
To avoid missing documents, please name your documents (in pdf, jpeg or doc format), with file names as follows:
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four digit of NRIC number] Portfolio/Project case studies
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four digit of NRIC number] Academic Records and Transcripts
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four digit of NRIC number] Curriculum Vitae
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four digit of NRIC number] Record of Co-Curricular Activities (CCA)
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four digit of NRIC number] Letter of Admission to Institution
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four digit of NRIC number] Information on the proposed course of study
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four digit of NRIC number] Letter of Recommendation 1
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four digit of NRIC number] Letter of Recommendation 2
If you are unable to attach the documents onto the BrightSparks portal, compile all the documents into one zip file and upload to this Dropbox link. To avoid missing file, please name your zip file following this format :
[Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four digits of NRIC number] Submission
Eg. [Amos Tan_1234] Submission
Submit a hardcopy of your application documents and physical portfolio:
a) By courier/registered mail:
DesignSingapore Scholarship Secretariat
111 Middle Road
National Design Centre
All submissions must be received by 5.00pm on 13 April 2020.
b) In person:
111 Middle Road
National Design Centre
Submissions in person must be made on 13 April 2020 between 9.00am-12.00pm and 2.00pm-5.00pm. All submissions must be received by 5.00pm on 13 April 2020.
Your hardcopy submission must include the following documents:
- Printed copy of the online application form
- Relevant academic records and/or transcripts
- Copy of letter of admission to institution (with proposed course of study)
- Printed copy of information on proposed course of study
- Printed copy of your curriculum vitae and/or record of activities (including participation in exhibitions, competitions, design activities, awards and accomplishments)
- Printed copy of your record of Co-Curricular Activities (CCA)
- Letters of recommendation from two referees pertaining to the application of this scholarship (referees cannot be immediate relatives of the applicant)
- Printed copy of your portfolio and/or samples of your works (development sketches and best works) and/or project case studies
- Other relevant supporting documents (if applicable)
Hardcopies of the printed documents should be bound in A4-format folder, and your portfolio in A3- or A4-format. All folders must be labelled securely with your:
- Last four digits of your NRIC number
Please retain a copy of your application for personal reference. DesignSingapore Council will retain all supporting documents and portfolios submitted.
What is the selection process?
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend up to two rounds of selection interviews between April and May 2020. Successful applicants will be informed about the outcome after all the interviews have been completed. All scholarship recipients must attend a Scholarship Award Ceremony in August 2020.
The DesignSingapore Council reserves the right not to disclose the reasons for approving or rejecting any application, and to reject any incomplete application.
Applicants will be assessed on:
- Potential to contribute to Singapore’s design sector
- Potential for creativity and leadership
- Achievements, recognition and experience in design and design thinking
- Quality of portfolio/project case studies (originality of concepts, depth of development and exploration of ideas, competency in execution, technical ability, and range of work and skills)
- Academic results and track record of co-curricular activities
- Articulation and persuasion skills
- Transdisciplinary design skills
For further queries or clarifications, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page or contact us at Scholarship@designsingapore.org.